I pinned this little free dress pattern to my sewing pinterest board a long time ago and finally got around to making it. To be honest, if my serger wasn’t STILL in the shop, I probably wouldn’t have made this. But it’s a pattern you don’t really need a serger for. Just a zig zag stitch.
It’s only three pattern pieces and doesn’t take much fabric at all. I just had this fabric on hand from other projects.
The bodice is lined but the skirt is not. I actually want to make this in my size but figured I should follow the pattern first and then attempt to make an adult size pattern. I managed to cut and get most of the dress finished during Tucker’s nap.
Also, the seam allowance is in metric. And I hemmed the skirt too much because I was being lazy, so maybe it’s on the shorter side for a 2/3T.
This pattern was fairly easy but it involves a placket and I had no idea what that was… Rather than spending the time googling, I just kind of guessed, so the back is a little messed up. It works though. (You can see how the placket is a little uneven/bunched in the picture above.)
For the back, I cut buttons off of one of Aaron’s old shirts because it’s what I had on hand. If I make it again, I’ll probably buy some buttons that are a little bigger and contrast more. And you know, they’d match, whereas these ones don’t. Also, I broke three buttons sewing them! I refused to hand sew them so I used my machine. It’s a miracle I didn’t break any needles.
Also, sewing button holes is oddly satisfying.
I sent the dress to the daughter of a friend from high school. She is adorable!
I think, if I attempt to make this in an adult size, I’m going to have to mess with the bust and lower the waist a little. Plus I think I’ll shorten the sleeves. I like the cap sleeves but I would like them to be a little less capped. No clue if I could actually manage this!