Slouchy Shorts for Tucker

imag0133_27802775430_o

I have lots of motivation to sew right now, but:

1. I can’t decide what to make because there are approximately 187 things on my To Make list.

2. I can’t seem to make it out to the store to buy materials.  Or I go to the store and forget some necessary part because I’m frazzled from having two kids in a fabric store.

So indecisive, frazzled mom problems.

imag0126_27980735582_o

However, I did manage to make Tucker a super easy pair of slouchy shorts from fabric I already had.  I didn’t use a pattern, I just traced around a pair of shorts that fit him, added a seam allowance and some length, then cut an upside down U for the middle of the legs part.  I decided to skip elastic in favor of a fabric waist band just because I wanted to use a different color.

Then I added a little faux drawstring.  For the leg hems, I just rolled them twice and sewed little bar tacks in four places to keep them rolled.

I like them!  They were easy and took very little fabric.  I might make them a little shorter next time and make the waist a little tighter.  I also might add a little kangaroo pocket to the front. 🙂

imag0135_27469379524_o

imag0131_27468516493_o

Toddler Dress with Buttons

imag8891_24211483093_oI pinned this little free dress pattern to my sewing pinterest board a long time ago and finally got around to making it.  To be honest, if my serger wasn’t STILL in the shop, I probably wouldn’t have made this.  But it’s a pattern you don’t really need a serger for.  Just a zig zag stitch.

imag8881_24210138063_o

It’s only three pattern pieces and doesn’t take much fabric at all.  I just had this fabric on hand from other projects.

The bodice is lined but the skirt is not.  I actually want to make this in my size but figured I should follow the pattern first and then attempt to make an adult size pattern.  I managed to cut and get most of the dress finished during Tucker’s nap.  

Also, the seam allowance is in metric.  And I hemmed the skirt too much because I was being lazy, so maybe it’s on the shorter side for a 2/3T.

imag8890_24210150064_o

This pattern was fairly easy but it involves a placket and I had no idea what that was… Rather than spending the time googling, I just kind of guessed, so the back is a little messed up.  It works though. (You can see how the placket is a little uneven/bunched in the picture above.)

For the back, I cut buttons off of one of Aaron’s old shirts because it’s what I had on hand.  If I make it again, I’ll probably buy some buttons that are a little bigger and contrast more. And you know, they’d match, whereas these ones don’t. Also, I broke three buttons sewing them!  I refused to hand sew them so I used my machine.  It’s a miracle I didn’t break any needles.

Also, sewing button holes is oddly satisfying.

imag8889_24470701419_oI sent the dress to the daughter of a friend from high school.  She is adorable!

12674376_1124049814313630_2062905329_n

I think, if I attempt to make this in an adult size, I’m going to have to mess with the bust and lower the waist a little.  Plus I think I’ll shorten the sleeves.  I like the cap sleeves but I would like them to be a little less capped.  No clue if I could actually manage this!