I put out a request on the South Hills Mom’s Facebook page a while ago looking for a Parent’s Morning Out program in the area. A friend of mine who lives in the East End takes her son to one of these programs and she highly recommended it so I was hoping to find one for Sam. If you’re not familiar with what it is, it’s basically a daycare type program that usually runs a few hours once a week (or more) to give moms and dads a small break without the commitment of a normal daycare.
I found one that I liked and signed Sam up for every other Wednesday through the Summer. It’s 3 hours in the morning and they do a craft, read stories and play outside on the playground. There are 11 kids in his class, age 18 months to 3 years with two adult caregivers and one high school girl. It’s $18 each time I take him. I believe the cost for two kids is $30. Each mom provides a prepackaged, healthy snack in the beginning and they are given a snack in that three hour period. It’s not a preschool program. It’s supposed to be a ministry to the parents. It’s mostly just socialization and play time for the kids.
I love it and would definitely recommend it to stay-at-home parents out there. Running errands without a toddler diving out of the shopping cart is amazing.
Churches (that I know of) that have this type of program in the South Hills area:
- Westminster Presbyterian Church http://www.westminster-church.org/ Upper St. Clair (by Target)
- Beverly Heights Presbyterian Church http://www.beverlyheights.org/ Mt. Lebanon (Washington Road)
- Christ United Methodist Church http://www.christumc.net/ Bethel Park (by Village Square across from SHV)
- Pleasant Hills Community Presbyterian Church http://www.pleasanthillschurch.com/ Pleasant Hills
- St. David’s Episcopal Church http://www.stdavidspeterstwp.org/preschool/mothers-day-out/ Peters Township